Thursday, October 27, 2011

I'm tho thmart!

As you may know, from a previous post, I suffer from Mommy Brain Syndrome and up until yesterday I feel like my behavior of late has demonstrated an improvement in my symptoms. However, I suffered a major setback yesterday morning and it is really quite distressing for me as I had been developing a renewed hope in my recovery over the past few months. In my defense, I have been looking after one extra child for a couple of weeks so that may have been what triggered such a lapse in my recent instability. I know you are dying to know what humiliation I subjected myself to so I’ll get on with my tale. Yesterday we had a playdate to go to so the night before I set to work in the kitchen making muffins and banana bread so we could have something to share with the others. It all came out perfectly, one loaf of bread and 11 muffins ( the 12th was subject to quality control). So the morning of the playdate I have 3 kids, 3 bags and the tray of food to put in the car. I had my hands too full to open the door so I set the tray (can you guess where?) that’s right, on top of the car and proceeded to load everybody and everything into the car. Then, I strap myself in and take off. I get about half a mile from the house and get ready to make a turn and see something in the side mirror that grabs my attention. And because I don’t believe in flying saucers it only takes a second to realize that my dollar store food tray is flying through the air and is about to meet the pavement. So I panic, thinking about how the fruits of my labor are about to be destroyed, if not already, and that there is no way I can get to my goods in time for the 5 second rule to apply. I am also really distressed because not only did I dedicate time and effort to make the food but also a lot of comestibles. I mean let’s face it, these are difficult times and I am mentally going through the list of ingredients I had to use that were about to be a complete waste. So in my panic I pull over on the side, of what thankfully is a side road, and rush to gather my goods. But because it happened right at the intersection of another road I am worried that another car might come and run me over while I am foraging around. So I grab my still intact tray, which amazingly still has some food on it, and start frantically grabbing muffins and slices of banana bread before my life can be sacrificed for what basically amounts to a couple of cups of flour and some fruit. I know you are thinking just leave the food, grab the tray and get out of there but I just cannot bring myself to leave my bread. I mean I can’t serve it to anybody right? Right….? Of course not! Well, at least not to the other mommies but my family is not beyond recognizing that this would be a complete waste and we can’t afford to waste…waste not want not, no? So I separated the baked items that met the pavement with the ones that stayed on the plate and took a quick count and realized that at least 3 pieces of bread were missing and 2 muffins. Hmmm… what happened to the missing bread? I didn’t think it safe enough to stand around and look for too long and if 1 or 2 muffins ventured off into a ditch I would just consider them rogue and not try and make a recovery. So, fast-forward to the playdate, which was a good 15 miles away, and I am unloading everybody and everything and I glance onto the roof of the car and low and behold there is the missing banana bread and one muffin! How in the world they held on for that distance in beyond me but after being subjected to the wind and elements for a good half hour they had become a little hard and crusty and I quickly tossed them into the drainage ditch and tried to forget the loss since, after all, I was able to recover enough bread and muffins, tainted and otherwise, to be able to take home and to offer the playgroup. So what is the lesson I learned? Load the food first and then the kids because there’s no way I would leave one of them on top of the car right? Right…??

1 comment:

  1. I love it! That sounds like something I would do! And to waste all of that EFFORT - so sad!

    ReplyDelete