Tuesday, October 26, 2010

spittle, sputum, spitoon, and other fun topics

O.K I lied about the "other fun topics" but you're here now and that's all that matters.

Now that I am staying at home we have a lot of time to spend together but we try to make sure we get some time to ourselves as well. So yesterday A and E both go up to the playroom together to do what only seemed logical...to play or maybe, knowing how precocious and gifted they are, they were going to engage in meaningful conversation about the state of their union. Anyway, after about 30-40 minutes of new found freedom I began wondering what they were doing that was keeping their attention for such a unprecedented amount of time. My first inclination was to go check on them but thought better of it as surely this peaceful display of kinship would come to a grinding halt if I were to show up. So I decided to let nature run its course and take advantage of the time to myself so I could finish alphabetizing my canned goods and making kindling from dryer lint.
About 5 minutes later I hear them coming down the stairs and inquire about their recent activities. It played out like this:
Me: What have y'all been doing up there all this time?
DD: silence ( I could tell she was trying to decide whether to tell me or not)
Me: well?? What were you doing?
DD: spitting
Me: What do you mean spitting?
(she then proceeds to demonstrate her spitting technique)
Me: where were you spitting?
DD: in a cup
Me: this whole time you have been up there spitting in a cup?
DD: uh huh
me: and your brother?
DD: he was just playing

So there you have it. It is that simple, kids don't need lead coated toys from China that make an array of repetitive and annoying noises or expensive, plastic nick knacks that fall apart when you look at them. Give'em a little saliva or encourage them to make their own and let'em go at it.
It will certainly make for a more economical Christmas this year

1 comment:

  1. LOL!!! and ewwwwwwwwww!!!

    Where's the *like* button! :)

    and what's

    ReplyDelete